Interview with a Nurse Leader
Your Name: Date:
Your Instructor’s Name:
|Criteria||Fill in the answers in this column.|
|Indicate 2 scholarly resources or texts used prior to the interview to familiarize yourself with the individual’s organization, role, or any of the questions you plan to ask that will make you a more knowledgeable interviewer.||Resource #1:|
|Resource # 2:|
|Demographics: Provide initials, credentials, job title, and length in present position of the registered nurse interviewee. Include the date and time the interview was conducted. Provide a working phone number for instructor follow-up if needed.|
|Required Questions(Ask the interviewee about EVERY topic in this section)|
|Scope of responsibility: Major responsibilities, direct reports, and operational budget|
|Organizational mission, vision, values, and beliefs|
|Strategic planning related to ONE core competency (name the core competency)|
|Role of BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan|
|Practice Impact Question(Reflect on the interview afterwards to ask yourself this question and provide it below.)|
|How does completing this interview impact your practice as a BSN-prepared nurse? Give specific examples.|
Interview With a Nurse Leader:
The following is the purpose of this assignment,
- Discuss the roles and responsibilities of a Nurse Leader in a selected healthcare organization.
- Review the organization’s mission, vision, values, and beliefs.
- Discuss the Nurse Leader’s strategic plan as it relates to The Institute of Medicine’s Quality initiatives and ONE of the following five core competencies.
1) Provide patient-centered care
2) Work in interdisciplinary/interprofessional teams
3) Employ evidence-based practice
4) Apply quality improvement
5) Utilize informatics
- Articulate the role of the BSN-prepared nurse to support the strategic plan related to selected IOM core competency.
- Articulate what was learned from time spent with interviewee and how own nursing practice will change as a result of the encounter and completion of this assignment.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO 1: Apply leadership concepts, skills, and decision making in the provision of high quality nursing care, healthcare team management, and the oversight and accountability for care delivery in a variety of settings. (PO #2)
CO 3: Participate in the development and implementation of imaginative and creative strategies to enable systems to change. (PO #7)
CO 5: Apply improvement methods, based on data from the outcomes of care processes, to design and test changes to continuously improve the quality and safety of healthcare. (PO #8)
CO 6: Develop a personal awareness of complex organizational systems and integrate values and beliefs with organizational mission. (PO #7)
CO 7: Apply leadership concepts in the development and initiation of effective plans for the microsystems and/or system-wide practice improvements that will improve the quality of healthcare delivery. (PO #2 and 3)
This assignment is worth a total of 200 points.
This assignment, Interview with a Nurse Leader, is due at the end of Week 6. Submit your completed interview, using the Interview Form, . Post questions to the weekly Q & A Forum. Contact your instructor if you need additional assistance. See the Course Policies regarding late assignments. Failure to submit your paper to the Dropbox on time will result in a deduction of points.
- Interview Form from Doc Sharing. It is found under the Week 6 Interview link.
- Select your interviewee, schedule and conduct an interview. This individual must be a Registered Nurse employed in a leadership role. Job titles of RNs who may be considered include, but are not limited to: Chief Nursing Officer, Vice President of Nursing/Patient Care Services, Director of Nursing, Associate/Assistant Director of Nursing, Nurse Manager, Patient Care Manager, and Department Head/Director who has RNs reporting to him or her. If you have any concerns about whether the RN is “suitable” for this assignment, contact your instructor BEFORE you schedule and conduct the interview.
- Review all areas of inquiry on the Interview Form located in Doc Sharing PRIOR to conducting the interview. You may print the form and take it with you to the interview. However, you may not give it to the individual and ask him or her to complete it and return it to you.
- Note there are five areas of inquiry to discuss with the RN/Nurse Leader.
- Prior to conducting interview, review two scholarly resources related to the ONE aforementioned core competencies upon which you plan to focus. These resources should guide your interview process and understanding of the Nurse Leader’s role and responsibilities as it relates to the selected core competency. If you have questions about what constitutes a scholarly resource, please ask your instructor.
- Note that practice impact must be addressed by YOU.
- Conduct the interview. The length of your interview will vary but should not exceed one hour.
- Submit the form to the Dropbox prior to the deadline outlined above.